Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

April 27, 2011

The Good Samaritan

I teach Gospel Doctrine Class in Sunday school (sorry to those of you who attend- ha!) and one of the recent lessons was regarding the parable of the Good Samaritan found in Luke chapter 10. For reasons unknown, that story has been buzzing around inside my brain. A lot. So it must be important. And I needs learn something from it, obviously, or it wouldn't be hounding me.

We know the story; a man had been beaten, robbed and left for dead alongside the road. Both a Priest and a Levite passed him by, neither offering aid. A Samaritan came along and assisted the man, paid for his lodging, food and care. They were strangers. There was no obligation yet the Samaritan had compassion upon the man; he demonstrated love for his neighbor.

I've often thought about the "Samaritans" in my life and how I can be more servant-like. It's not an easy task! Seriously, especially for a personality like mine who's not wired to think 'servant-like'. If you can relate you'll understand what I mean. It's not that I don't want to serve it's that oddly enough, it doesn't occur to me half the time. Weird, right? Lucky for me, I've got the perfect match.....  


There is one 'Samaritan' who stands above; and blessed me- I live with him! In class you'll often hear me speak about Ryan and what an awesome person he is. Not just because he's my husband, but because of who he is. He is one of those true servants- he loves to serve. If he sees a need and can fill that need, he does. I watch that attitude demonstrated over and over with Ayla and with perfect strangers.

It's quite humbling, really.

He takes such excellent care with Ayla I never worry. In truth, I think Ayla is the one who worries when she and I are left alone!  
Love this picture- one of the first times we were allowed to hold Ayla and she has always since preferred her dad's warm, hairy chest over mine (not that my chest is hairy- that would be gross). Go figure. She's been 'daddy's shadow' ever since and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ryan is the same regarding strangers; always smiling and ready to help. To Ryan, there is no such thing as a 'stranger', we're all neighbors. Not that he lives in 'Disneyland', he's smart and a good judge of character. People like him. Rightfully so, he's a likeable guy. He's always doing something for somebody somewhere- he's a tricky one to catch home.

So what's the point to this post?

Nothing really.... only to give a shout-out to Ryan and what a cool guy he is. I don't believe he realizes just how much he's appreciated (though I do tell him all the time). And on that note; hey Ryan, it's your turn to get up with Ayla tonight!

Cheers!   

No comments: