Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

January 4, 2010

My "Rant"

I like blogging.....it's a great way to share information and keep informed and connected. The internet is cool and because I am the type of personality that LOVES information and probably spends too much time researching topics of interest, especially regarding Ayla and micro-preemie's.

Ayla is a puzzle; a neat, cute little puzzle with thousands of moving pieces. I know I'll never be able to "fix" her issues but will always keep looking for information and ways to help her! That being said- here goes my "rant".....you have been warned so precede with caution!

In my many quests for information on micro-preemies, I have stumbled across several articles regarding the expensive and extensive care of resuscitating babies born between 24-29 weeks. They are both interesting and disturbing to read. These articles are becoming more frequent because of the new Healthcare Reform Act (which I am NOT a fan of, but that's my opinion and a whole different 'rant') and because the reality TV personas, the Duggars, had a baby at 25 weeks (hey- same as Ayla!).

One article expressed that the government incurres too much expense (ie- Medicaid) in providing care for these extremely premature babies because they are MILLION dollar+ babies- literally, and many do not survive or live the quality of life to become a "productive" citizen. Case in point; Ayla's care was over a million dollars within 4 months....and she was in the hospital for 4.5 months! How's that for insane health care costs? Without Medicaid, there was no possible way we could have provided the financial means required for her survival because private health insurance cuts you off after you've met your lifetime 'cap' (and that's another 'rant' topic).
Anywho, about that "living to become a productive citizen" bit.... I recently decided to stop torturing myself- if an article cannot provide relative, helpful scientific information then I will not read it, makes me frustrated otherwise. And besides, it expends too much energy to read negative stuff. Really, who can place a value on human life? My guess is that the 'experts' writing these articles have never had a catastrophic medical crisis in their family OR the 'powers that be' writing these crappy insurance policies haven't either.....so sorry, went off on another rant.....I'm not trying to be a 'Debi-Downer' but bring awareness to the topic. Ah, the pleasure of blogging!

Life is interesting; 11 months ago I would have never guessed that I'd ever be researching information on micro-preemies.....life is good and we have been blessed!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I am right there with you. I have twin nieces born at 29 weeks who incurred HUGE medical bills and had to use Medicaid and are right where they should be developmentally at at 5 (6 in April) so to try to make a decision as to what kind of person they will be when they are 25 would not be a fair assumption. Children amaze us all every day. My broter was just killed in a car accident in November and all we have left of him are these beautiful children and we are sooooo grateful they are here with us. So for people to try to make a decision on just how valuable these babies should be I can honestly tell you that they are priceless!!! I appreciate you blogging Heidi!! You are such a strong woman!!

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I didn't realize the Duggar's last baby was born preemie. I've been thinking about this post for a few days now. You know, my twins and your twins would never have survived if they'd been born during pioneer times. What is the point of having such medical knowledge available and the technical machines and modern medicine that we have now if we choose to not use them to save a life? Life doesn't have a money value. I'm grateful for everything that was done for my boys and for your girls, regardless of the hospital's price. I'd rather government money be spent towards little ones than to overpaid officials, or improving the roads, or state-of-the-art office buildings. For without the little ones, what is life?